This Creamy Chicken & Potato Pasta combines chicken thigh meat, crispy potatoes and sliced mushrooms in a cream sauce with bowtie pasta.
I have a thing for adding potatoes to pasta. If you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a treat. I’ll admit that it sounds a bit strange, and I’ve had people question me, completely unconvinced, but everyone I’ve ever served this pasta to has loved it.
I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs in this recipe because it has more flavor and a better texture, but you can use chicken breast if that’s all you have.
Russet potatoes are perfect for this dish. You’ll want to use two medium sized potatoes. Cube them up into a size that you would want to eat in a bite with other ingredients – fairly small.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bowtie pasta – I prefer bowtie pasta in this recipe. It gets fully coated in the sauce, which makes every bite especially delicious. This shape of pasta works well with this baked feta pasta as well. If you only have fusilli or another pasta on hand, it’s fine to substitute.
- Potatoes – Medium russet potatoes or medium red or Yukon Gold potatoes all work well. I do remove the skins before cubing, though you could leave the skin on if you want.
- Boneless skinless chicken thigh – thighs add the most flavor and the pieces are nice and moist even after the cooking process. You can use chicken breast if you want, but it will be a bit more dry.
- Button mushrooms – For something a little different, you can try a different type of mushroom.
- Heavy cream or half and half
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated is the best way to go. It melts easily and has a nice robust flavor. If you have to, use pre-shredded cheese, but never the sawdust in the green container.
- Salt and ground black pepper
How to Make Chicken Potato Pasta
Begin this dish by cooking the pasta according to package instructions. When it’s done, drain it and set aside. You can keep about 1/4 cup of the pasta water to add to the sauce, if you want a creamier sauce.
Chop the chicken and potatoes into bite-sized cubes of about the same size so they cook at the same rate. Slice the mushrooms.
In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the potatoes and saute, tossing occasionally, to crisp all sides of the potatoes. This will take about 10 minutes. Then add the chicken and mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned, about 5-8 minutes.
Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. Then add the cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and let it bubble for a few minutes, until the cream begins to thicken. Give it a taste. You may need to add more salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the drained pasta into the skillet and toss to coat. Allow everything to heat up together for a few minutes. Serve.
Tips and Notes
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water to add to the sauce. The starch in the water helps make a creamier sauce. If you find your sauce is too thick you can also add pasta water to help thin it out.
- Chicken thighs have more flavor and a better texture, but you can use chicken breast if that’s all you have.
- Chop the chicken and potatoes into bite-sized cubes of about the same size so they cook at the same rate.
Side Dishes to Try
Other chicken recipes to try
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Creamy Chicken & Potato Pasta
- 6 ounces bowtie pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken thigh chopped in small pieces
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 6 button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/4 cup Parmesan freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the potatoes and saute, tossing occasionally, to crisp all sides of the potatoes, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, onion, and mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and let bubble for a few minutes, until the cream begins to thicken. Add more salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Add the drained pasta into the skillet and toss to coat. Allow everything to heat up together for a few minutes. Serve.
Other Potato Main Dish Recipes To Try
- Pulled Pork Gnocchi
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Rich & Delicious Instant Pot Stew
- Instant Pot Potato Leek Soup
- Pulled Pork Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Creamy & Delicious Gnocchi Carbonara
Click for Even More Potato Main Dish Recipes
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite Instant Pot recipes over at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin it for later
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.