This Creamy Chicken & Potato Pasta combines chicken thigh meat, crispy potatoes and sliced mushrooms in a cream sauce with bowtie pasta.
I have a thing for adding potatoes to pasta. If you’ve never tried it, you’re in for a treat. I’ll admit that it sounds a bit strange, and I’ve had people question me, completely unconvinced, but everyone I’ve ever served this pasta to has loved it.
I use skinless, boneless chicken thighs in this recipe because it has more flavor and a better texture, but you can use chicken breast if that’s all you have.
Russet potatoes are perfect for this dish. You’ll want to use two medium sized potatoes. Cube them up into a size that you would want to eat in a bite with other ingredients – fairly small.
For the pasta, I prefer bowtie pasta in this recipe. It gets fully coated in the sauce, which makes every bite especially delicious. If you only have fusilli or another pasta on hand, it’s fine to substitute.
How to Make Chicken Potato Pasta
Begin this dish by chopping up the chicken and potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Slice the mushrooms.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
As the pasta is cooking, add the potatoes to a large skillet with half the butter. Cook over medium heat, tossing to crisp all sides of the potatoes, for about 15 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the skillet.
Add the chicken to a large skillet with the remaining butter. Saute the chicken until mostly cooked. Add back the potatoes and the mushrooms. Continue cooking, about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms have cooked down. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Add the garlic. After 30 seconds, add the cream. Mix everything together and let it bubble for a few minutes, until the cream begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the drained pasta into the skillet and toss to coat. Allow everything to heat up together for a few minutes. Serve.
Other recipes to try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Creamy Chicken & Potato Pasta
- 6 oz bowtie pasta
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 6 oz chicken thigh chopped in small pieces
- 6 mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- As the pasta is cooking, add potatoes to a large skillet with half the butter. Cook over medium heat, tossing to crisp all sides of the potatoes, about 10 minutes. Remove potatoes from skillet.
- Add the chicken to the skillet with remaining butter. Saute chicken until mostly cooked. Add potatoes and mushrooms. Continue cooking, about 5 minutes, until mushrooms cook down. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic. After 30 seconds, add the cream. Mix everything together and let bubble for a few minutes, until the cream begins to thicken. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta into the skillet and toss to coat. Allow everything to heat up together for a few minutes. Serve.