This Coconut Curry Chicken uses just six ingredients that you likely already have at home to make a delicious curry dish that packs a ton of flavor.
You can make great curry chicken at home very quickly and it tastes as good as take out. The best part is it’s done in just 25 minutes.
Ingredients in Curry Chicken
If you’re wanting to use up some of the ingredients you probably already have lurking in your pantry, this dish is perfect.
The ingredients you’ll need to make this dish are:
- Chicken (breast or thigh meat)
- Tomato paste
- Curry Powder
- Coconut Milk
Those are all likely ingredients you have in your fridge or pantry. In a pinch, you can leave out the onion and garlic. If you don’t have fresh chicken, you can substitute it with potato chunks. I particularly like the addition of sweet potato chunks.
For the coconut milk, you need the kind that comes in a can. You can’t substitute coconut milk in a carton that’s meant for drinking. The fat ratio in these two different types of coconut milk is quite different. I even prefer the full fat version to light coconut milk.
This curry is best cooked on the stove top, but you can cook it in the slow cooker, if you want.
It’s not ideal for the Instant Pot because the coconut milk will curdle in the high heat. If you do cook this in the Instant Pot, you need to leave out the coconut milk and instead add 3/4 cup water to the pot before cooking. After cooking, you can add in the coconut milk and set the pot to Saute mode to cook down and reduce the sauce.
It only takes around 25 minutes to cook this on the stove top. With the need to pressurize and depressurize, the Instant Pot actually takes longer.
Serve it up!
Don’t forget to make some rice to go along with this dish. It’s needed to soak up the sauce. If you don’t have rice, you can use any type of noodle or pasta, as well as cauliflower rice.
If you like this recipe, why not try one of our other quick and easy pantry dishes.
- Southwestern Chicken Soup
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast or thigh meat cut in bite-sized chunks
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ tbsp curry powder
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- On the stove top, add all of the ingredients to a pot over medium-low heat. Cook for 15 minutes, whisking occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through.
- In another pot, heat 2 cups of water to boiling. Add the rice and stir. Cover with a lid and cook on a low simmer for approximately 18 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Serve the curry over rice.