Southwestern Chicken Soup uses pantry ingredients for a quick and satisfying meal that’s incredibly easy to make.
If you have an Instant Pot, this soup is even faster and easier to make than ever. You can pour the ingredients into the pot, set it and forget it, and it’s done in just 20 minutes.
I like to make a large batch of this soup and save the leftovers for lunches. You can also freeze the leftovers to pull out whenever you need it, which saves even more time.
For anyone who has plenty of pantry staples, like beans and canned corn, this is a go-to soup that is in both filling and delicious.
Can This Soup Be Frozen
Yes, you can freeze this soup and use it later. That makes it easy to make a big batch and freeze for later meals. Freeze individual servings in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Stove Top or Instant Pot
I make this soup most often in the Instant Pot, but you can make it either way is more convenient for you.
The Instant Pot has the additional benefit of being super fast. But it only takes 30 minutes to make this on the stove top.
For more depth of flavor in less time, the Instant Pot can’t be beat.
What Type of Beans to Use
You can choose whatever beans you want to use in this recipe, though black beans, pinto beans, and white or northern beans are the best because of their texture. If you only have a jar of kidney beans, don’t let that hold you back. It’ll turn out just as good.
> Do you know beans are quite healthy for you? Read about the benefits of eating beans.
You can also cook dried beans in this recipe, if you’re using the Instant Pot. Add the dried beans to the Instant Pot with the correct amount of water, according to the package and cook for 30 minutes on high pressure.
Then you can proceed with this recipe, using the cooked beans as a substitute for canned beans.
Like this recipe? Here are a few others to try:
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Southwestern Chicken Soup
- 1/2 lb boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups water
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can of black beans rinsed
- 1 14 oz can of pinto beans rinsed
- 1 10 oz can of corn drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a stock pot on the stove top, or in an Instant Pot.
- Cover the pot with lid. Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat on the stove top. If cooking in the Instant Pot, set to high pressure for 8 minutes, then allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it, then return it to the pot and mix in with the soup.
- You can add the chicken breast from frozen, but you’ll need to increase the cook time to 50 minutes on the stovetop and 12 minutes in the Instant Pot.
- Use whatever beans you like or have on hand, it doesn’t strictly have to be black and pinto. You can also use dried beans, but you’ll need to increase the water by double or more.
- Garnish the soup with avocado, sour cream, cheese, and/or tortilla chips, if desired.
- Soup can be frozen.