This Cobb Salad Recipe uses pasta instead of lettuce, then it’s piled high with all the delicious cobb salad ingredients we love, like chicken, avocado, and bacon.
I love a traditional cobb salad, but when I ventured out and replaced the lettuce with penne pasta, I loved it even more. The chewy pasta is a great combination for these flavorful ingredients.
With so many ingredients, you might think it takes too long to make a Cobb Salad, but it’s actually quick and easy if you cook and chop things all at once. I’ve also found that it’s super easy to make these salads in bulk, especially when using a whole chicken or rotisserie chicken.
If you do meal prep, add this one to your rotation. Making 5 salads at once saves time!
Cobb Salad Ingredients
What ingredients you choose to use in your Cobb Salad can vary. I often go with the typical ingredients in my salad, but one change I make, that is reflected in this recipe, is substituting the lettuce with pasta.
A Cobb Salad typically has these ingredients:
- Hard-boiled Eggs
- Blue Cheese
You don’t have to have all of these ingredients in the salad. Mix and match however you like to form your favorite salad.
How to Make Cobb Pasta Salad
The trick to making this salad quickly is to prepare everything at the same time.
If you have left over chicken, that will save even more time. But if you don’t, it won’t take a lot of extra time to cook up some chicken breast.
Put 2 chicken breasts in a pot of water to simmer for 20 minutes. At the same time, put the eggs in a small pan and cover with water. Bring it to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Leave the eggs covered for 10-12 minutes. Finally, in another pan, bring water to a boil, add salt, and cook the pasta to al dente, around 8 minutes.
While the chicken, eggs, and pasta are cooking, add the strips of bacon to a pan and fry for around 4 minutes per side. When done, move them to a paper towel to soak up the grease.
Chop the avocado, tomatoes and blue cheese.
Now your chicken, eggs and pasta will be ready. Drain them all. Add the eggs to a bowl of ice water to chill for about 5 minutes before cracking and peeling. When they have sufficiently cooked down, chop the chicken and eggs.
Add the pasta to the serving bowls. Distribute the chopped ingredients among the bowls. Then top with blue cheese dressing or Ranch salad dressing. You can make your own ranch dressing using this recipe.
If you’re not a fan of ranch dressing, you can also use blue cheese dressing, or even an apple cider vinaigrette.
You might also like these recipes:
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Cobb Salad with Pasta
- 3/4 cup cooked penne pasta
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 avocado chopped
- 3 oz chicken breast cooked and diced
- 1 small tomatoes diced
- 2 large large eggs hard boiled and chopped
- 1 oz blue cheese crumbled
- 3 tbsp Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing
- Put a chicken breast in a pot of water to simmer for 20-25 minutes, until cooked through. Put the eggs in a small pan and cover with cold water. Bring the pot to a boil, then cover and remove from heat. Leave the eggs covered for 10-12 minutes. In a third pan, bring water to a boil, add salt, and cook the pasta to al dente, around 8 minutes.
- Add bacon to a pan and fry for around 4 minutes per side. When done, move them to a paper towel to soak up the grease.
- Chop the avocado, tomatoes and blue cheese.
- As the chicken, eggs and pasta finish cooking, drain the water. Add the eggs to a bowl of ice water to chill for about 5 minutes before cracking and peeling. Chop the eggs and the chicken.
- Add the pasta to the serving bowls. Distribute the chopped ingredients among the bowls. Then top with Blue Cheese or Ranch dressing.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
PIN IT FOR LATER