Miso-glazed carrots are a tasty side dish for your dinner that is impressive enough for guests, yet deceptively simple to make.
»You might like this Instant Pot Caramelized Carrot Soup.
I don’t often cook carrots, mostly because I think they’re boring, but these roasted carrots changed my mind. The roasting process really brings out the sugars in the carrots, and mixed with the salty umami of the miso makes them super tasty.
If you haven’t heard about Imperfect Foods, check it out here (our referral link). We’ve been ordering it for over a year now. It’s great produce and it makes us happy to help build a kinder, less wasteful world.
If you’ve tasted miso before, you know it’s got a salty, umami flavor to it. This flavor profile enhances the sugary sweetness of the carrots when roasted. They compliment each other well.
There are a few different types of miso. You can try this recipe with any of them, but I prefer to use white miso. White miso is fermented less than red miso. It is made from soybeans that have been fermented with a large percentage of rice, while red typical is fermented with barley or other grains. If you prefer a more intense flavor, you can use red miso paste instead.
How to Make Miso Glazed Carrots
The making of these carrots is quite easy. All you must do is combine the glaze ingredients and brush the glaze over the carrots.
Set the oven to 400 degrees F and when it’s properly preheated, put the carrots in and let them roast for about 20 minutes.
Keep an eye on them and flip them over midway through the time, so they cook evenly. At the midway point, you can glaze them again for greater depth of flavor.
I like to serve them with a dusting of flake salt and red pepper flakes, but that step is up to you.
What to Serve With Glazed Carrots
Other Veggie Recipes to Try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Miso-Glazed Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb baby carrots with tops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white miso paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/2 clove garlic minced
- Wash and pat dry the carrots. Place them on a baking sheet. Coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast the carrots at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- To make the glaze, mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and brush the glaze onto both sides of the carrots. Return the tray to the oven and roast for an additional 10 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and slightly caramalized.
- As a garnish, sprinkle the carrots with flake salt and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- If you can’t find baby carrots, you can use regular sized carrots, peeled and cut in half.
- You can substitute the brown sugar with honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup to give it a slightly different taste.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Pin it for later!
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.