In this quick and easy Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, fresh fettuccine pasta is tossed with a creamy and decadent sauce of cream and Parmesan cheese, then topped with flavorful grilled chicken.
It might not be the lightest meal you could eat, but this creamy dreamy pasta dish will put a smile on your face, for sure. Add grilled chicken or leave it out for a satisfying vegetarian meal.
If you can boil noodles and simmer a sauce, you’ve already won at making this recipe. It’s so simple.
I could never quite figure out why jarred alfredo sauce was so bad. After tasting it just one time, I was convinced never to buy it again. And once I found this recipe, there was no longer any reason to subject myself to it.
Is it truly Italian, no. But that doesn’t detract from how tasty it is. Just don’t expect to sit down at an Italian restaurant in Rome and find this dish on the menu. It’s distinctly American-Italian.
This recipe has just 4 essential ingredients: fettuccine, chicken, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese. To make a lighter version, you can sub out the heavy cream for half and half. Anything lighter than that won’t thicken properly.
I think it’s a great idea to make your fettuccine for this recipe, if you’ve got the time. It’s not as hard to make as you might think.
Making Your Own Pasta
If you want to try your hand at making your own pasta, I can’t recommend it enough. It’s not difficult or scary to make your own pasta.
Here is an incredibly easy homemade pasta recipe that only requires you to mix flour with eggs and knead the dough.
- 2 large eggs
- 200g of 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
Make a mound out of the flour (reserving about 20 grams to use only if necessary). Swirl a whole in the middle of the mound with your fingers. Crack the eggs into the center of the mound.
Using a fork, beat the eggs gently, then start to incorporate the surrounding flour, slowly, until fully combined. Add the extra flour only if the dough is too sticky. Then knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic.
Rolling the Pasta
There are two ways to roll your fresh pasta. You can knead it and roll it out with a rolling pin. This takes a bit of muscle and time, but it’s not difficult. Or you can use a pasta maker. There are three different types of pasta makers.
There is a third, even easier option. If you’ve ever wanted to make fresh pasta, but didn’t want to do the work, you need this.
Check out this amazing electric pasta maker from Hamilton Beach. Fresh, homemade pasta is now as simple as adding ingredients and pushing a button. In 15 minutes or less, you can have pasta that’s ready to boil. The pasta machine mixes, kneads and extrudes the pasta for you.
This electric pasta maker has 7 different pasta shapes: thick spaghetti, lasagna, spaghetti, angel hair, wide noodle, penne and fettuccine. It’s pretty brilliant.
How much homemade pasta per person?
I recommend a 2 ounce serving of fresh pasta per person. Once the pasta is cooked it equals around 1 cup of pasta, which is a decent serving. The recipe above makes 4 servings.
Steps to Make Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
Step One: Boil the fettuccine until al dente. Don’t overcook the pasta or it will become one big mess when combined with the sauce. Reserve some of the pasta water.
Step Two: Season and grill the chicken, then slice or dice it. It an be added to the top of the pasta, or incorporated into it, based on your preference.
Step Three: Simmer the heavy cream until slightly thickened. Add the Parmesan cheese and whisk together. Toss in the fettuccine and stir well to coat the pasta. If too thick, add a bit of the pasta water.
That’s all there is to it!
Other Recipes to Try:
- Chicken Caprese Pasta
- Simple & Flavorful Farfalle alla Vodka
- Cacio e Pepe (Spaghetti with cheese and pepper)
- Perfect Potato Gnocchi
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
- 4 oz dry fettuccine
- 5 oz boneless chicken breasts halved
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Set a pot of water to boil on the stove top. When the water is boiling, add the fettuccine and cook for 10 minutes, until al dente.
- Meanwhile, set a skillet on medium-high heat on the stove top. Add olive oil. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over both sides of chicken breast. Add it to the hot pan. Cook for 8 minutes per side, or until juices run clear when poked.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove it from the pan. Add the cream and simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Lower the heat and add the Parmesan cheese and salt. Whisk well to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Add the fettuccine to the sauce and stir to coat. Cut the chicken into strips. Fill the plates with fettuccine, topped with chicken slices, and drizzle any remaining sauce over the top.