This Instant Pot Pork Roast Recipe is a simple and quick way to cook a pork roast that is flavorful and tender in a fraction of the time.
The Instant Pot is an incredible tool in the kitchen for making dishes that once took a long time to make. You can drastically cut down the cooking time for dishes like this tender Pork Roast, which only takes 30 minutes to make in the pressure cooker vs five hours in the crock pot.
>> You might also like this pork with sauerkraut, which is a German tradition on New Years Day.
The best thing about this pork roast is that it goes with just about any side dish you want to serve, so you don’t have to put a lot of thought into what to make for dinner.
Which Cut of Pork to Use
There are a few different cuts of pork that make a good pork roast. I cook a LOT of pork shoulder in the instant pot, like these delicious carnitas that benefit from slow cooking, to make shredded or really tender meat. But when I’m making a pork roast that I want to be able to slice and serve with a side dish, I use pork leg or loin instead.
The pork leg roast pictured above is a 3 pound roast that is about 5 inches thick. Many pork loins are much thinner than this. They will take less time to cook.
You want to look for a piece of meat that has a layer of fat. I know the tendency is to buy meat with no fat or to remove the fat before cooking, but a pork roast really benefits from the layer of fat, which keeps the meat moist while cooking. A pork loin with no fat will often end up dry once cooked.
Free range and organic pork almost always have a thick layer of fat on top of the roast – often also with the skin on. When cooking in the Instant Pot, you can’t get crispy skin, but it’s a lot easier to remove after cooking than before, so just leave it on and remove the excess fat and skin after cooking.
How to Make a Pork Roast in the Instant Pot
1. Sear the Pork
To prepare the pork roast, sprinkle salt and pepper all over the roast. You can use other spices like garlic powder and thyme or rosemary, if you want.
Start by searing the pork on all sides. This will give the pork a nice brown and flavorful crust. If there’s a fat cap on your pork roast, you won’t be able to sear that side.
I sear the pork directly in the Instant Pot on Saute mode with a little bit of olive oil. Once it’s browned, about 6 minutes, I remove it from the pot and turn off the machine.
2. Add the Liquid and Pork to the Instant Pot
There might be some browned bits on the bottom of the pot from searing the pork. Add the broth and use a whisk to scrape the bits up. This adds great flavor to the broth.
Add the onion and celery to the pot. Then put the trivet over the top. Place the roast on top of the trivet.
Close the Instant Pot and set it to Pressure Cook (or manual, depending on which version you have). The length of time you need to cook the pork for will vary depending on the size of your roast. For a small for 25 minutes.
Note: If your roast is smaller than 1 pound or is thin and long, you will need to cook it for less time. Start with 15 minutes for 1/2 pound. Check the temperature of the meat to make sure it’s done. 145 degrees F is what you’re aiming for. If it’s under, turn it back on for 5-10 minutes.
After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then manually release the rest of the pressure.
2. Slice It Up and Serve It
Take the pork out of the Instant Pot and slice it into pieces. If you want to make a gravy, you can use the broth from the Instant Pot. It’s incredibly flavorful and makes a really great gravy.
Looking for a side dish to serve with this Instant Pot Pork Roast? Here are a few options:
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower with Parmesan
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup
- Classic Wedge Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Instant Pot Pork Roast
- 3 lb pork leg or loin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 ribs of celery chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the entire roast. Heat the Instant Pot on Saute mode. Add the olive oil to the pot. When shimmering, add the pork roast and brown on both sides (if possible). Remove the roast and turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add the broth and whisk any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Then add the onion and celery to the Instant Pot. Place the trivet into the pot. Place the pork roast on top of the trivet.
- Cover the pot, lock on the lid, and make sure the valve is set to sealing. Press the Pressure Cook button and set the cook time to 45 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is finished, allow the pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes, then move the valve to venting to release the remaining pressure.
- Slice the roast and serve with your favorite side dish.
- A smaller roast will take less time to cook. Cook for 15 minutes per pound.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
PIN IT FOR LATER