BBQ Chicken Tostadas are quick and easy to make as a meal or a snack and they’re so tasty you’ll be wanting a few more.
This recipe blends the two things I love most – tortillas and BBQ. They are made with shredded chicken, slathered with BBQ sauce and loaded onto a crispy corn tortilla with beans and melted cheese. Perfect!
If you did a Google search to find this recipe, you now know just how many versions of BBQ Chicken Tostadas there are. Of course, I like this version best, but it does show how versatile this meal can be. Whatever you want to put on your tostadas is fine with me!
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tostadas
You can make these tostadas with either fresh corn tortillas or with crispy tostada shells. I always have corn tortillas around, so I prefer to use those. You can crisp them up on the stovetop in just 4 minutes per side over medium heat.
Next you’ll need to shred the chicken. I use chicken breasts and simmer them in a pot of water over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Check that the internal temperature gets up to 165 degrees. Then remove it from the water and shred it up. Put the chicken in a bowl and mix in the BBQ sauce.
Now you’re ready to put it all together. Add a layer of beans to the tostada, then add a scoop of chicken, and a heap of cheese. If you’re making these for two people, repeat this process to make four tostadas.
Put them in the oven on 350 degrees F for about 8 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted on the top. Dress them up with ranch dressing, Cholula or your preferred hot sauce, and chopped green onions. I also like to serve avocado slices on the side.
» If you love tortillas, you’ll also want to try our Chicken Flautas recipe.
What Type of Beans to Use
I’ve made this recipe with many different types of beans: black beans, white beans, and refried beans. I’ve enjoyed them all, but my favorite was the white beans. I think I prefer them because they’re a larger bean and give more texture to the tostada.
However, there isn’t one right bean to use. I always advocate using whatever you have on hand. It’ll be great no matter what bean you use.
Looking for a side to serve with these tostadas? Here are a few options:
- Bacon, Jalapeño, and Corn Salad
- Classic Mexican Street Corn (Elote)
- Easy Guacamole Recipe: Delicious & Healthy
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
BBQ Chicken Tostadas
- 4 small corn tortillas
- 1 cup white beans
- 6 oz cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp ranch dressing
- hot sauce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crisp up the tortillas in a skillet on the stovetop for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from the pan and place all the tortillas on a baking sheet.
- Combine the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce and mix well.
- Top the tortillas with equal measures of the beans, chicken, and cheese. Place the baking sheet in the oven for approximately 8 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and become bubbly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and top the tostadas with ranch dressing, hot sauce, green onion and cilantro (if desired). Serve with sliced avocado.
- You can use store-bought crispy tostadas instead of fresh corn tortillas.
- Use any type of beans you prefer: white, black, pinto, refried beans.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.