When all dressed up, these crispy shrimp tacos look so tempting and delicious. You’ll want to eat more than just two. Well, go ahead! These are fairly healthy little tacos.
»Looking for a fun way to spice up taco night? Check out How to Build a Mexican Charcuterie Board.
I have a serious obsession with tacos. Not just shrimp tacos, but basically any taco (see: carnitas tacos or pork belly tacos). But I’m particularly in love with shrimp tacos. They have a little bit of everything. They’re crispy, spicy, savory, and crunchy.
The best part about these shrimp tacos is that they make a perfect quick and tasty lunch, as well as a healthy dinner. You can a whole plate of these together in around 15 minutes, so even cooking for a crowd is easy.
In the summer, these are one of our top go-to dinners. The only cooked element is the shrimp, which take just a few minutes to cook. No need for the oven.
Making Crispy Shrimp
I personally prefer to make crispy shrimp for these tacos, which involves the extra step of coating them with flour and seasoning and frying them in a bit of oil. It gives them a crispy exterior, without having to actually bread and deep fry them.
I use this dry rub seasoning, which packs a ton of flavor. Since we use this seasoning on almost everything in the summer (ribs, chicken wings, chicken thighs), I always have some made up and ready to use. I just mix it with some flour in a bag, add the shrimp, and mix it up.
If you want to make them healthier or quicker, you can forgo the flour and just saute them in the pan. You can also cook these in an air fryer, which works really well.
For the tortillas, you can use any variety you like. I prefer to use 6-inch flour tortillas. Smaller ones work well too. Corn tortillas are great with shrimp tacos too. Even 3-inch street taco corn tortillas can be used. I love those!
These crispy shrimp tacos are light and delicious with lots of crunchy fresh veggies and a spicy Sriracha cream sauce.
Spicy Sriracha Cream Sauce
The creamy Sriracha sauce that I add to the top of these shrimp tacos is one of my favorite sauces. It goes with everything. Seriously. Try it. I’m not exaggerating.
All it takes to make this sauce is mayonnaise, garlic powder, white vinegar and Sriracha. Just mix up however much you think you’ll want. This recipe makes enough for 6 tacos.
I make it in large batches (because I use it on everything) and store it in a squeeze bottle in the refrigerator. The squeeze bottle makes it really easy to drizzle the sauce onto the shrimp tacos.
Check out our recipe for Yum Yum Sauce, which is this sauce with the addition of a secret ingredient that will rock your world.
What Toppings to Use for Shrimp Tacos
You can use any toppings you want for your tacos. I always use red and white cabbage. The red cabbage adds such great color to the tacos. Green onions are a must, as is cilantro and red peppers.
I sometimes put pico de gallo on, but more often I use freshly sliced cherry tomatoes.
Other recipes to try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Shrimp Tacos with Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- 8 small flour or corn tortillas
- 1 lb shrimp fresh or frozen/thawed (approximately 20 shrimp)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry rub
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cup cabbage shredded (red and/or white)
- 1/2 lb cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1 avocado cubed
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Sriracha
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- Clean and peel the shrimp (if necessary), then pat dry.
- Combine the flour and dry rub in a zip top bag. Add the shrimp and shake to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add the shrimp and cook for 3 minutes on each side, until they are crisp and browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Assemble and chop all of the vegetables and toppings.
- Whisk together the mayo, Sriracha, garlic powder, and vinegar.
- Heat the flour tortillas according to the package directions. Top each tortilla with shrimp, cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, green onion, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with sriracha cream sauce and serve.
- Size and weight of the shrimp needed may vary. I estimate 3-4 shrimps per taco for medium sized shrimp.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Pin it for later
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.