Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp is simple to make and full of flavor with a spicy sweet copycat bang bang sauce.
The first time I tried Bang Bang Shrimp was at Bonefish Grill. It’s a pretty famous shrimp appetizer that has sparked the “bang bang” revolution. Everyone needs a good copy cat recipe for this delicious appetizer.
This recipe is so simple to make. The air fryer is a crazy useful tool that cooks food super fast, but also really well, without the oil and complication of deep frying.
You can make amazing crispy shrimp in the air fryer. Add this great Bang Bang Sauce to the crispy shrimp and you’ve got the perfect appetizer.
Bang Bang Sauce is just 4 ingredients: mayo, sweet chili sauce, Sriracha, and honey. You probably already have those things in your fridge, so you can make this up tonight!
How to Make Bang Bang Shrimp in the Air Fryer
If you’ve never made crispy shrimp in the air fryer, you’re totally missing out on one of the easiest and best things you can make in an air fryer. Check out our full post on breading and cooking shrimp in the air fryer.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this dish. See the recipe for the quantities.
- Sweet chili sauce
Bread the shrimp in a 3-step process. For this, I like to create three different dipping stations: one for flour, one for egg and one for breadcrumbs. Dredge the shrimp through the flour, then dip it in the egg, then coat it with breadcrumbs.
Lay the breaded shrimp in the air fryer so they aren’t touching each other. Don’t crowd the basket. The food needs room to become crispy.
Cook the shrimp in the air fryer on 400 degrees F for 3 minutes, then turn the shrimp over and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Times will vary a bit depending on the size of shrimp you are using.
While the shrimp is cooking, quickly mix up the sauce. It comes together in just one minute. Super fast.
Once the shrimp is done, you can toss the shrimp in a bowl with the sauce and serve it.
Rice or cauliflower rice are a great accompaniment, to turn this dish into a meal rather than an appetizer.
What Shrimp To Use
I like to use a medium sized shrimp that can be eaten in one bite. I think these make the best appetizer sized Bang Bang Shrimp.
I buy fresh raw shrimp that is already shelled and cleaned (who has the time for that!) If you do have that time, it’s totally fine to get shrimp with the shells on and do the shelling and cleaning yourself.
You can use frozen shrimp, but you’ll have to thaw it first in order to bread them properly. The flour, egg and breadcrumbs won’t adhere to the shrimp when they’re frozen.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- 1 lb shrimp shelled, deveined, cleaned
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
For the sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sweet Thai chili sauce
- 1/2 tbsp Sriracha
- 1/4 tsp honey
- Clean and dry the shrimp.
- You need three shallow bowls. Add flour and salt to one bowl, egg to another bowl, and breadcrumbs to the third bowl. Start by coating the shrimp in flour, then dip it in the egg mixture, then coat it with breadcrumbs. Bread all the shrimp this way.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 3-5 minutes.
- Lightly spray air fryer basket with oil and place shrimp in the basket, leaving space between each shrimp. Lightly spray the tops of the shrimp.
- Cook for 3 minutes. Flip shrimp over and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Large shrimp may need more time to cook through. Continue in small batches until all shrimp are cooked.
- Mix the sauce ingredients together in a bowl. Once shrimp are cooked, toss the shrimp in a bowl with the sauce to fully coat.