This Parmesan Crusted Cod is a flaky white fish topped with a crunchy Parmesan and breadcrumb topping with a light lemon zest.
If you’re looking for a delish 15-minute meal, this Parmesan Crusted Cod is the winner!
We were asked to review a Good Chop box (it’s a meat subscription plan where a box of meat is delivered to your door every month – read more about it here) which came packed with all kinds of great cuts of meat, including 6 perfectly sized servings of Pacific cod.
The recipe that came to mind was this Parmesan crusted cod, which I’ve been making for years. It was the perfect way to test the quality of the cod.
I’m really pleased to say it turned out great. You’re going to love this recipe.
Why Choose Cod
We’re always trying to add more fish to our diets and this recipe is a great way to make everyone happy. Cod is both easy to source and easy to cook. It’s a nice white flaky fish with a mild taste.
Add this lemony Parmesan breading to the top of it and it’s a huge hit. The flavors are fantastic, and you can serve it alongside just about any side dish. It’s particularly good with a potato side dish.
Good Chop is a great place to get your cod because it’s:
- Wild-caught on U.S. coasts or raised in U.S. farms
- No antibiotics, additives, or coloring, ever
- Sustainably harvested
When you’re shopping for fish, make sure it’s sustainable and preferably wild caught.
Ingredients You’ll Need
This cod dish is crusted with Panko bread crumbs and Parmesan, which gives it a really nice flavorful crunch. You don’t need a lot of other ingredients. It’s a really quick topping to mix up.
- Panko bread crumbs – the larger crumb is nice to have here because it’s crunchier and airier than smaller breadcrumbs.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese – a high-quality cheese that you grate yourself will add so much flavor.
- Lemon zest – just a dash of zest goes a long way
- Garlic powder
- Fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Cod
Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
Pour the olive oil into a bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Toss to combine, until wet crumbles form.
Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper. Set them on the baking sheet. Spoon the breadcrumb mixture onto the fish, packing it down lightly with the back of the spoon.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
How to Perfectly Cook Cod
Fish can be tricky to cook. There’s a fine line between undercooked and overdone. It can become rubbery after 145° F, so you don’t want to leave it in for too long. Since all fish is cut in different ways and different thicknesses, the best way to ensure you don’t overcook the fish is by using a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the fish.
Pull the fish out of the oven when it reaches 140° F. Carry over cooking will bring it up to the perfect temperature of 145° F.
Can I Reheat Cod?
Cod, and all fish, is difficult to reheat. You want to make sure to cook it at a low temperature to just warm it through, and not add too much heat that will over cook it.
The best way to reheat this cod is in the air fryer, if you have one. Put it on 325°F for 4-5 minutes to reheat and crisp it back up.
Side Dishes to Try
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Parmesan Crusted Cod
- 4 cod fillets approx 5 ounces
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F (200°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Add the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Pour the olive oil into a bowl.
- Toss to combine, until wet crumbles form.
- Season the cod fillets with salt and pepper. Set them on the baking sheet.
- Spoon the breadcrumb mixture onto the fish, packing it down lightly with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the topping is lightly browned.
Pin it for later
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.