Instant Pot Beef & Broccoli is a simple dinner idea with flavorful tender beef and crisp broccoli in a savory sauce.
One of the easiest ways to make Beef & Broccoli is in the Instant Pot. It’s a one-pot solution to get dinner on the table quickly.
» You might also like this Chicken & Broccoli recipe.
The beef is cut into chunks and takes just 4 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. The broth that forms in the pot as the beef cooks is then combined with a cornstarch slurry sauce to make a thick and tasty glaze for the dish.
How to Make Beef & Broccoli in the Instant Pot
Start by cutting the beef and broccoli into chunks. They should be around the same size, which makes eating it more enjoyable. Large pieces of broccoli aren’t very fun to eat.
Mix up the sauce. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to a bowl along with the beef. Stir it up and set it aside to marinate for a few minutes while you cook the broccoli.
I use the saute mode on the Instant Pot to cook the broccoli for 5 minutes. To do this, add cooking oil to the pot, pour in the broccoli florets and let them sizzle, stirring occasionally.
Once they’re done, remove them to a bowl and set aside. Turn off the Instant Pot. The broccoli will continue to steam while you cook the beef, so they’ll be the perfect tenderness.
You might be wondering why I didn’t use the pressure cook function to cook the broccoli. It just cooks too quickly. Even setting the Instant Pot to zero minutes (yes, this is possible!) is too much and will leave the broccoli mushy and overcooked.
If you’re using store-bought broccoli in a steamer bag, go ahead and steam the broccoli as the package suggests, instead of using the Instant Pot, if you want.
Next, add the beef and the beef broth to the pot. Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Do a manual pressure release when done.
Add the broccoli back to the pot and turn on Saute mode again. Add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce you mixed up earlier and pour it into the pot. As it heats up, the sauce will start to bubble and thicken.
Let it bubble for about 3 minutes. Then it’s ready to serve. It’s great alongside some rice or noodles, but I often use cauliflower rice for a low-carb alternative.
Here’s another of our recipes for Beef & Broccoli Noodles made on the stove top, in case you don’t have an Instant Pot, or don’t want to get it out.
You can cook the beef from frozen, if you want. Just set the cook time to 5 minutes, instead of 4.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for a day or two. The broccoli really loses it’s luster after that and will be less appealing to eat.
Other Recipes to Try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Instant Pot Beef & Broccoli
- 1 lb sirloin steak cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup beef broth
For the sauce
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili oil (like Lee Kum Chiu Chow Chili Oil)
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine (like mirin)
- 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2-3 cups cooked rice
- red chili flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onion, sliced
- Cut the beef and broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch, in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to the beef. Stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the cooking oil. When hot, add the broccoli and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pot. Cancel saute mode.
- Add the beef to the Instant Pot, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Lock the lid and turn the vent to sealing. Using the pressure cook button, set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce and stir it until smooth.
- When the time is up, do a manual release of pressure and remove the lid.
- Press saute mode again and add the broccoli back to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the beef and broccoli. Stir well and allow the sauce to thicken for about 3 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot. Serve over rice, if desired.