Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli is a simple dinner idea with flavorful tender chicken and crisp broccoli in a savory sauce.
One of the easiest ways to make Chicken & Broccoli is in the Instant Pot. It’s a one-pot solution to get dinner on the table quickly.
» You might also like this Beef & Broccoli Noodles recipes.
The chicken takes just 4 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot. The broth that forms in the pot as the chicken cooks is then combined with a cornstarch slurry sauce to make a thick and tasty glaze for the dish.
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli in the Instant Pot
Start by cutting the chicken and broccoli into small pieces. They should be around the same size, which makes eating it more enjoyable. Large pieces of broccoli aren’t as fun to eat.
Mix up the sauce. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to the chicken and set it aside to marinate for a few minutes while you cook the broccoli.
I use the saute mode on the Instant Pot to cook the broccoli for 5 minutes. Just add cooking oil to the pot, pour in the broccoli florets and let them sizzle, stirring occasionally.
Once they’re done, remove them to a bowl and set aside. Turn off the Instant Pot. As the chicken cooks, the broccoli will continue to steam so they’ll be the perfect tenderness.
Just a quick note about the broccoli. You don’t want to cook the broccoli under pressure. It cooks so quickly that even setting the Instant Pot to zero minutes is too much and will leave them mushy and overcooked.
If you’re using store-bought broccoli in a steamer bag, go ahead and steam the broccoli instead of sauteing, if you want.
Next, add the chicken and the chicken broth to the pot. Close the lid and set the vent to sealing. Pressure cook on high for 4 minutes. Do a manual pressure release when done.
Add the broccoli back to the pot and turn on Saute mode again. Add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce you mixed up earlier and pour it into the pot. As it heats up, the sauce will start to bubble and thicken.
Let it bubble for about 3 minutes. Serve the chicken and broccoli with rice, cauliflower rice, or over noodles.
You can use frozen diced chicken, if you want. Set the cook time to 5 minutes, if you do. Of course, you won’t be able to add the sauce to the chicken to marinate, so just add the sauce to the broth instead.
If you have leftovers, you can store them in the refrigerator for a day or two. The broccoli really loses it’s luster after that and will be less appealing to eat.
Other Recipes to Try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Instant Pot Chicken & Broccoli
- 3/4 lb chicken breast or thigh cubed
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked rice
For the sauce
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp chili oil (like Lee Kum Chiu Chow Chili Oil)
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tbsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp Chinese cooking wine (like Mirin)
- 1 tsp corn starch
- red chili flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- green onion, sliced
- Cut the chicken and broccoli into bite sized pieces.
- Mix the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch, in a small bowl. Add 1 tbsp of the sauce to the chicken. Stir to coat and set aside to marinate.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute. Add the cooking oil. When hot, add the broccoli and saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pot. Cancel saute mode.
- Add the chicken to the Instant Pot, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth. Lock the lid and turn the vent to sealing.. Using the pressure cook button, set the Instant Pot to 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the cornstarch to the remaining sauce and stir it until smooth.
- When the time is up, do a manual release of pressure and remove the lid.
- Press saute mode again and add the broccoli back to the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli. Stir well and allow the sauce to thicken for about 3 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot. Serve over rice, if desired.