These melt-in-your-mouth tender Beef Short Ribs are a cinch to make in the Instant Pot. If you don’t want to spend half the day making short ribs, this is the perfect short cut.
For easy pressure cooker short ribs, you’ve found the perfect recipe. I love making short ribs in the slow cooker, but sometimes I really don’t have time for that. The Instant Pot is a great tool to cut down the cooking time of dishes like this one that typically take all day to make.
The short ribs reach fall-apart tender status in a fraction of the time they take in the slow cooker. And there’s no lacking on the flavor, either. In fact, I think cooking them in the Instant Pot actually increases the flavor.
You can have this dish on the table in less than an hour and a half, which is pretty great when compared to the 6-8 hours it typical takes to make fall-apart short ribs.
>> You might also like this short rib pappardelle.
Can I Cook Instant Pot Short Ribs From Frozen?
Yes, you can make these short ribs in the Instant Pot, even if your short ribs are frozen. Just note that they won’t develop as much flavor this way, because you will have to skip the browning step.
Browning the short ribs before cooking them adds a tremendous amount of flavor, so I really don’t recommend skipping this step, but if you’re really strapped for time and don’t have time to defrost the ribs beforehand, don’t let that stop you.
You’ll need to add an additional 10 minutes to the cook time when using frozen meat.
Can I Skip Natural Pressure Release?
It can be a bit frustrating to have to wait the entire 30 minutes it takes to naturally release the pressure from the Instant Pot. However, when cooking meat that you want to be tender, it’s better to allow the pressure to naturally release. This is because the meat needs a resting period to relax and rest.
If you’re really strapped for time, you can cut down the pressure release time and it won’t negatively affect the outcome. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then you can quick release the rest of the pressure.
What Should I Serve Short Ribs With?
We also like to serve these crispy potatoes with short ribs.
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes! [hover over the image to pin]
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- 1 lb beef short ribs (or 2 large ribs)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1/2 medium carrot sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp rosemary finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on all sides of the beef ribs.
- Press the "saute" setting on the Instant Pot. Allow it to heat up for 3 minutes. Add the cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add the ribs, meat-side down, and brown on all sides.
- Remove the ribs from the pot. Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir.
- Add the beef broth, soy sauce and rosemary. Use a whisk to (remove the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place the beef ribs into the liquid in the Instant Pot. Add the bay leaves. Place the lid on the pot.
- Press the "pressure cook" button on the Instant Pot and set the time to 40 minutes. After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 30 minutes).
- Remove the meat from the pot. Strain the sauce through a sieve and serve over the meat. Garnish with chopped rosemary.