Turn the spinach and artichoke dip everyone loves into a creamy and delicious casserole. It’ll quickly become your favorite pasta dish.
Remember that famous spinach artichoke dip that you used to see at every party? Whenever I made it, it was the hit of the party and was gone as soon as the delicious smell of Parmesan hit everyone’s noses.
I was thinking recently that it’s a shame that dip is reserved for parties. It’s so good, and so simple to make. What if you combined it with some pasta and made a casserole out of it!
I finally tried it one day. And of course it blew me away, just as I had expected. It is exactly the same tasty dish as the dip, only now it’s a casserole that I can serve as a main dish.
I used the same ingredients as the dip, but I added shredded chicken and fusilli pasta. If you’d rather keep this as a vegetarian dish, there’s no need to add the chicken. The spinach and artichokes alone make this a satisfying dish.
Artichoke Dip Ingredients
There are four basic ingredients to the iconic dish that makes the base of this dish. They are:
- Parmesan Cheese
There are two schools of thought as far as the spinach goes. A lot of people just don’t like it and only go with artichokes. Whichever you choose is up to you. I like to add the extra nutritional value. (I personally use kale, however, due to a spinach allergy.)
Although it’s not part of the original dip recipe, I also add the following ingredients to make this casserole:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fusilli pasta
How to Make Spinach Artichoke Dip Casserole
The first step is to prepare the pasta, according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.Next, mix up the artichoke dip. If you just want to make artichoke dip, here is the original recipe. For this casserole, you’ll make it the same way, only add the chicken and pasta before baking.Stir together the mayo, Parmesan, artichoke and spinach. Add the garlic, if you like, and the chicken and pasta. Mix it all together and put it into an 8×8″ baking dish.Finally, bake the casserole in the oven at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
There are a few things to keep in mind while making this dish.
- If you use spinach, be sure to thoroughly drain and squeeze the liquid from the pre-cooked spinach. It will ruin the dish if the spinach contains too much water.
- Use non-oil-marinated artichoke only. The oil on the artichokes will also ruin the dish, causing the dip to break and coagulate in a really undesirable way.
- Don’t add too much pasta. The ratio of pasta to dip might be different for you, based on the size of pasta you use and its expansion while cooking. Add 3/4 of the pasta and stir, then determine if you need to add more. You should be able to completely coat the pasta with the sauce, with more pasta than sauce remaining after stirring, like in the picture below.
This casserole is super easy to make, so it’s a great weeknight meal that even the kids will like. It turns out super creamy and cheesy – just the way it should be.To serve it, I top it with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and chopped green onions. It’s on the table in less than 30 minutes. And the leftovers are good too!
It’s not the lowest calorie dish you’ll ever come across, but it’s utterly irresistible. Looking for more casseroles and one-pot main dishes like this one to serve? Try our Taco Lasagna or Chicken Caprese Pasta.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Spinach and Artichoke Dip Casserole
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 14 oz canned artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach drained and squeezed of water
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 3 cups fusilli pasta cooked and drained
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Stir together all ingredients, except chicken and pasta, in a medium bowl. Once the sauce is combined, stir in the chicken and pasta. Then add to a casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes.