Linguine with white clam sauce marries a garlicky white wine with clams to make an easy and elegant Italian pasta.
We often get stuck in a pasta rut that includes spaghetti with meat sauce and pappardelle with ragu. While I love those dishes, I also want to change up the routine a little bit and try some other classic Italian dishes. This linguine with clam sauce is a perfect deviation from the norm.
I’ve seen many recipes for Linguine with Clam Sauce and I was also hesitant to make it because they all include full shell clams. That just seems too difficult for a weeknight meal. I wanted this version to be easier than that. Who has the time?
What Clams to Use
While I do love fresh clams, there’s a simplicity in using jarred clams that I can’t say no to. In my grocery, I can get these little jars of clams with juice (in the UK, this is the exact jar). The ones I buy are only a couple dollars each, in a 4.5 oz size. I use two of them for Linguine for 2 people.
You might not find these in your store, but there will be some alternative – whether it’s canned or jarred. I prefer the tiny clams, but you can purchase larger ones. It won’t change the dish too much. Just make sure you’re buying clams in natural juice (not in red sauce).
You can buy whole clams, but they don’t come in clam sauce, which is an important part of this dish, so you would also need to buy clam juice separately.
How to Make Clam Linguine
The first step is to prepare the pasta, according to the package instructions. Reserve a bit of pasta cooking liquid to add to the pasta if necessary.
Then in a large skillet, saute the garlic, then add the clams and juice, spices and white wine and let that simmer for a few minutes. When the white wine has evaporated – around 3-5 minutes – add the linguine and stir to coat the pasta.
Finally, divide it among the plate and top with a spritz of lemon juice, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, more chopped parsley, and red pepper flakes.
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Linguine with White Clam Sauce
- 1/2 lb dry linguine
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 9 oz jarred whole clams in natural juice or equivalent
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 lemon wedge
- Sprinkle of grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh parsley and red pepper flakes for garnish optional
- Cook the linguine according to the package instructions. Drain.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, butter and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the clams and juice, oregano, basil and white wine to the pan. Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the linguine and toss to coat. Transfer to serving plates.
- Top with a spritz of lemon juice, a sprinkle of grated cheese, fresh parsley and red pepper flakes, as desired. Serve.