This slow cooker Beef Ragu with Pappardelle is one of my favorite comfort food dishes. The tender beef melds with a velvety tomato and red wine sauce to create a simple, flavorful meal.
I tried many versions of beef ragu, changing and adjusting ingredients dozens of times, before I landed on this one. It seems so simple. But the ratio of ingredients and cooking method really do make a big difference in this recipe.
There’s no dish more satisfying than this one on a cool evening. It’s a soul-satisfying comfort dish.
Of course, it looks like it will take forever to make. Braising beef is not a quick undertaking. But the good news is that this dish can easily be made in the slow cooker, or even in the Instant Pot. The outcome will blow you away.
The flavors in this dish need time to develop and meld together into one stunning Ragu sauce, so the slow cooker is the perfect cooking method for this dish.
There’s not a lot of prep, though you do need to brown the meat before setting it to cook all day on its own.
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu Ingredients & Instructions
The recipe calls for red wine, chopped onions, Rosemary, garlic, beef broth, tomatoes and tomato sauce. You mix this all up in the Crock Pot with the browned beef and let it go for 4-6 hours.
It’s really that simple. As it cooks in the slow cooker, the meat will break down into fork-tender strips of beef that develops incredible flavors alongside the wine and tomatoes.
The only other ingredient you need is Pappardelle pasta.
How to Serve Beef Ragu
I personally love Pappardelle pasta. I can’t get enough of it. So any opportunity to load up some al dente pasta is taken. However, if you can’t find or don’t want to use Pappardelle, you can put this beef ragu on just about any pasta – farfalle, rigatoni, even spaghetti.
It goes really well with polenta, if you’re avoiding flour or gluten. I’ve even had this on top of cauliflower rice and spiralized vegetables.
Like this recipes? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu with Pappardelle
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1.5 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine
- 4 oz can tomato paste
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp rosemary dried or fresh
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 ounces Pappardelle pasta
- Cut the chuck roast into 3” cubes. Season the beef with the salt and pepper.
- Add the cooking oil to a large stock pot over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add the beef to the pot and brown on each side. When done, transfer the beef to the slow cooker.
- Add the onion, salt and pepper, garlic, and rosemary to the beef in the slow cooker. Then pour the broth over the top.
- Set the slow cooker on high for 6-8 hours. When done, the beef should easily shred. Use two forks to break up the meat and stir it into the sauce.
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- Serve the Ragu on top of the pasta. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.