» Looking for a unique dessert to serve? Try this Creamy Popcorn Ice Cream.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with nutrients and are known for their decadent sweet flavor. This smoked sweet potato recipe is effortless to make and is a great way to enjoy sweet potatoes. Best of all, this recipe has no special ingredients – it’s just potatoes, olive oil, and seasonings.
The reason I love this recipe is because of its simplicity. It celebrates the natural flavor of the sweet potato and it’s a tasty and hearty side dish that pairs beautifully with chicken, beef, or pork.
» Try our Traeger smoked brisket recipe.
Ingredients You Need
You can make smoked sweet potatoes by using just 5 simple ingredients. These are:
- Sweet potatoes: These are sweet in flavor with matt brown skin and orange interior. You can easily get sweet potatoes from any grocery store or farmer’s market. They are available all around the year. When buying sweet potatoes, make sure they are firm to touch without cracks and brown spots.
- Olive oil: I have used olive oil because it is rich in healthy fats. It also helps give it a crispy texture. You can use any cooking oil you prefer.
- Garlic powder: Garlic powder adds a savory flavor to sweet potatoes. The contrast of sweetness from the potato and savory from the garlic is just perfect.
- Black pepper: Black pepper adds a peppery, slightly spicy flavor to these smoked sweet potatoes.
- Salt: A necessary component to brings out the flavor in the potato.
What Type of Sweet Potato to Use
- Orange Sweet Potatoes (Beauregard, Jewel): These are the most common and widely available sweet potatoes. They have orange skin and bright orange flesh.
- White Sweet Potatoes: With pale beige skin and creamy white flesh, these sweet potatoes have a slightly milder flavor compared to the orange varieties.
- Purple Sweet Potatoes: These have purple skin and vibrant purple flesh. They are not only visually appealing but also have a slightly nutty flavor.
- Stokes Purple Sweet Potatoes: These have deep purple skins and vibrant purple flesh. They have a sweet and slightly nutty flavor, and their rich color is gorgeous. Try this roasted purple sweet potato recipe to see how wonderful these potatoes are to work with.
Here is what you will need to smoke sweet potatoes:
- Traeger grill: I have used a Traeger grill for making these smoked sweet potatoes. It is a premium quality grill. You can, however, use any other grill or smoker that you have at your home.
- Wood pellets: No smoker works without wood pellets. So, it is a critical ingredient in smoking your sweet potatoes to perfection. You can use any type of wood you like. I prefer cherry or apple wood.
» Read up on the 4 Best Smoker Grill Combos.
What Pellets to Use for the Traeger?
You’ll also need pellets for your Traeger. Traeger pellets come in many different types that you can choose from. I like to use hickory wood, or cherry wood pellets for mine. I actually use these Bear Mountain cherry wood pellets from Amazon.com. They also have a bourbon wood pellet that’s very good.
How to Make Smoked Sweet Potatoes
Making smoked sweet potatoes is super easy and convenient. You can make these sweet potatoes along with whatever else you’re throwing on the grill, and it serves as a great side dish. Here is what you have to do:
Step 1: Start the grill on smoke with the lid open for 5 minutes for the fire to get established. Set the Traeger temperature to 350° F(176°C). Preheat with the lid closed for 10-15 minutes.
Step 2: Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes to remove the dirt and debris. You don’t have to peel these potatoes because their skin is rich in nutrients. Once they are dry, pierce them with a fork a few times in different places.
Step 3: In a bowl, add garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. Mix well.
Step 4: Drizzle olive oil over sweet potatoes and rub it all over them. Now sprinkle the seasoning generously and rub it all over them.
Step 5: Now wrap the sweet potatoes individually in butcher paper or aluminum foil and place them on the grill.
Step 5: Cook the sweet potatoes for about 45 minutes at 350° F(176°C). The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes. Larger potatoes will need more time to cook. They are done when they are squishy in the middle. Once done, unwrap the aluminum foil and enjoy. You can dress them up with your favorite toppings.
What Internal Temperature Should Sweet Potatoes Be?
The recommended internal temperature for cooked sweet potatoes is 210°F (99°C). At this temperature, the sweet potatoes will be tender and fully cooked. A food thermometer can help ensure that the sweet potatoes have reached the desired temperature.
If you don’t have a digital thermometer, you can also consider factors like cooking time and visual cues such as the skin becoming wrinkled and easily pierced with a fork to know that it’s done. It should be very moist and squishy inside, with no firmness left.
How Long Does It Take To Smoke A Sweet Potato at 225F?
At a smoking temperature of 225°F (107°C), it typically takes about 2 to 2.5 hours to smoke sweet potatoes until they’re tender and fully cooked. This is using a traditional pellet smoker, like a Traeger smoker. I’ve done these on both my Traeger and my ZGrills pellet grill and it took about the same amount of time for each.
However, with the Ninja Woodfire Outdoor Grill, it takes about half that time. That machine is pretty amazing. Because the space inside is smaller and there is a forced air fan, it cooks much faster at the same temperature and still imparts a ton of smoke flavor.
How Many Calories Are In A Sweet Potato?
- Small Sweet Potato (about 5 inches long, 130 grams): Approximately 112 calories.
- Medium Sweet Potato (about 6 inches long, 180 grams): Approximately 153 calories.
- Large Sweet Potato (about 7 inches long, 240 grams): Approximately 203 calories.
Remember that these are rough estimates, and the actual calorie content of sweet potatoes can vary based on factors like the specific variety of sweet potato and its moisture content.
Tips to Remember
Keep a few points in mind when making sweet potatoes in a smoker:
- You can also slow cook sweet potatoes along with your chicken or brisket. Even if the temperature is higher or lower than we recommend in this guide, you’ll just need to keep an eye on them and remove when they are tender.
- If you don’t have a smoker, no problem at all. Cook these sweet potatoes on your regular gas grill without any wood.
- The cooking time of these potatoes depends on the size of the potatoes. Smaller potatoes cook faster, whereas larger potatoes take more time to cook. Go by how tender they feel when you squeeze them and don’t worry about targeting the exact time.
How to Spice Up Your Potatoes
You can add more flavor to the sweet potatoes by adding more spices and seasonings. Try adding Cajun seasoning, jerk seasoning, or fajita seasoning to spice things up. Top the potatoes with butter, sour cream and chopped chives. Or add cheddar cheese or another type of cheese and allow it to melt into the potato.
We also love using sweet potatoes as a vessel for a full meal. You can stuff the sweet potato with meat, cheese, and veggies, add some sour cream, and chives, and you have a full meal.
What To Serve With Sweet Potatoes?
These smoked sweet potatoes pair well with a lot of dishes, such as;
- Oven-Baked Tri Tip Steak
- Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- Marinated Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Chops
- Crispy Pork Knuckle
Can I Store Smoked Sweet Potatoes?
Leftover smoked sweet potatoes? No problem at all! Once they are at room temperature, you can place them in an air-tight container or a plastic zip lock bag and refrigerate them for 5 days. You can later enjoy them with your leftover BBQ.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to smoke potatoes?
Sweet potatoes need about 45 minutes when smoking at 350 degrees F. The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes. Larger potatoes will need more time to cook. You know they’re done when they are squishy in the middle.
Is steaming or boiling sweet potatoes better?
Steaming is generally considered one of the best cooking methods for preserving the nutritional content of vegetables. It helps retain more vitamins and minerals while boiling ensures even cooking, as the sweet potatoes are fully submerged in water. Ultimately, the best method depends on your specific recipe and the texture you want to achieve. Both methods can yield delicious results if done correctly.
Is steaming sweet potato good?
Steaming sweet potatoes is an excellent cooking technique if you want to maximize their nutritional content and maintain a firm, flavorful texture. It’s a versatile method that works well for many dishes.
Are sweet potatoes better baked or fried?
Both baking and frying sweet potatoes can be delicious, and the choice ultimately depends on your personal preferences and dietary goals. If you’re looking for a healthier option with more nutrients, baking is generally considered the better choice. However, if you’re craving a crispy, indulgent treat, frying can be a tasty option when enjoyed in moderation.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Smoked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (6 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon (3 g) garlic powder
- Start the grill on smoke with the lid open for 5 minutes for the fire to establish. Set the Traeger temperature to 350°F(176°C). Preheat with the lid closed for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together the seasonings. Wash and dry the potatoes and poke them each 2-3 times with a fork or skewer. Rub the potatoes with olive oil and seasoning blend.
- Wrap the potatoes in butcher paper and cook at 350°F(176°C) for 45 minutes.
- The cooking time will vary depending on the size of your potatoes. Larger potatoes will need more time to cook. They are done when they are squishy in the middle.
- Traeger grill or other smoker
- Wood pellets for the grill
- You can slow cook these potatoes alongside a brisket or chicken in your smoker at a lower temperature for a longer time. At 250°F(121°C), they will cook in 2 hours. Adjust as necessary.
- You can cook sweet potatoes on a regular gas grill if you don’t have a smoker. They just won’t have the smokiness from the wood
Angela’s passion for discovering and experimenting with new flavors and recipes is at the heart of her culinary philosophy. Residing in a quaint Oregon town, she finds joy and inspiration in her kitchen. Angela has a lot of expertise in cooking and she eagerly shares her discoveries and unique creations with you.