One of the easiest and best ways to make BBQ chicken wings is in the oven. These foolproof chicken wings are tender and delicious.
When I’m craving comfort food, one of my go-tos are these BBQ chicken wings. They are so easy to make that they’re a no-brainer for a snack or a casual dinner. Slather a little of my favorite homemade bourbon BBQ sauce on them and you’ll be making them every week!
There are so many ways to make chicken wings. You can grill them, fry them, or bake them. Of course, we all love fried chicken wings, but the extra oil that’s added in the process isn’t very sustainable for the diet. Baking the chicken wings leads to just as tender and crispy a wing, with a lot less fat.
It’s also a much easier way to make them. I will admit that the air fryer is another really great way to make chicken wings. If you’ve never used an air fryer before, you should give it a try. It’s amazing how crispy food gets, without all the grease.
I like to smother my wings in bbq sauce. I don’t need any other dipping sauce for these delicious little morsels. However, they go really well with a blue cheese dressing or ranch sauce, too, if you prefer.
How to Make BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
The first step to making these baked bbq chicken wings is to put together a basic rub for the wings. Coating the wings in this dry rub will give them a ton of extra flavor and will help to absorb the moisture on the ribs, leading a crispy exterior.
For the rub, I combine chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix it all together and then rub it all over the wings.
Now you bake the wings for about 15 minutes, until they begin to brown on one side. Flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes on the other side. Now is when you start to baste them with bbq sauce. I like to use my homemade bourbon bbq sauce, but you can use whatever your favorite sauce is. Be generous and coat the top side of the chicken wings.
Turn your oven to broil, with the top rack lowered to the 2nd row. This will help keep the slatter and flare ups to a minimum. You’ll want to keep a close eye on the wings as they broil. They only need about 4 minutes per side. Once one side begins to crackle and pop, remove the tray and slather the sauce on the other side of the wings. Broil again.
Once the wings have gotten a light char on each side, remove them from the oven and serve.
These baked BBQ wings are great for parties, picnics, or even backyard barbecues. They turn out perfect every time, and the sauce makes them irresistible finger food!
Like this recipes? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 16 chicken wings raw, thawed
- 1 tsp chili powder mild or hot
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper ground
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Season the wings with the dry rub.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil and lay out the chicken wings with some space in between. Put the baking sheet in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes then turn the wings. Cook for another 15 minutes on the opposite side.
- Remove the wings from the oven and turn the heating element to broil. Place the oven rack on the second row down, so the baking sheet will be 3 inches from the broiler.
- Use a basting brush to slather on the bbq sauce. Return the baking sheet to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the sauce begins to crackle and char.
- Flip the wings again and baste on the opposite side, then return them to the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.