(Updated with all new photos, November 2020)
One of the easiest and best ways to make BBQ chicken wings is in the oven. These foolproof chicken wings are tender and delicious.
When I’m craving comfort food, my go-to is these BBQ chicken wings. They are so easy to make that they’re a no-brainer for an appetizer or casual dinner. Slather a little of my favorite homemade bourbon BBQ sauce on them and you’ll see why they’re so addictive.
For a party, we like to serve these along with Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings to give two different flavors for guests to enjoy.
There are so many ways to make chicken wings. You can grill them, fry them, or bake them. We love fried chicken wings, like these crispy Korean chicken wings, but the oil that’s used in the process isn’t very sustainable for the waistline.
Baking chicken wings leads to just as tender and crispy a wing, with a lot less fat. It’s also a much easier way to make them.
I will admit that the air fryer is another really great way to make chicken wings. If you’ve never used an air fryer before, you should give it a try. It’s amazing how crispy food gets, without all the grease.
I like to smother my wings in bbq sauce. I don’t need any other dipping sauce for these delicious little morsels. However, they go really well with a blue cheese dressing or ranch sauce, too, if you prefer.
How to Make BBQ Baked Chicken Wings
The first step to making these baked bbq chicken wings is to put together a basic rub for the wings. Coating the wings in this homemade dry rub gives them a ton of extra flavor and will help to absorb the moisture on the wings, leading a crispier exterior.
For the rub, I combine chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix it all together and then rub it all over the wings.
Lay them out evenly on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or tin foil. If you use tin foil, rub on a thin layer of oil or spray with non-stick cooking spray to keep the ribs from sticking.
Bake the wings for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F (204 degrees C). Flip them over and bake for another 15 minutes on the other side.
Take the tray from the oven and baste them with BBQ sauce. I like to use this homemade bourbon bbq sauce, but you can use whatever your favorite bbq sauce is. Brush the bbq sauce onto the top side of the wings.
Turn your oven to broil, with the top rack lowered to the 2nd row. This will help keep the splatter and flare ups to a minimum. You’ll want to keep a close eye on the wings as they broil.
They only need about 3 minutes per side. Once one side begins to crackle and pop, remove the tray, turn the wings over, and slather the sauce on the other side of the wings. Broil again.
Once the wings have gotten a light char on each side, remove them from the oven and serve.
These baked BBQ wings are great for parties, picnics, or even backyard barbecues. They turn out perfect every time, and the sauce makes them irresistible finger food!
If you like these, you might want to try these other chicken wing flavors:
- Sweet & Spicy Korean Chicken Wings
- Brined Chicken Wings
- General Tsos Chicken Wings
- Honey Sriracha sauce for chicken wings
Side Dishes to Try
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 1 lb chicken wings cut at the joint
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
For the dry rub
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Mix all the dry rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Coat the wings with the dry rub and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tin foil that is lightly greased. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the tray and flip over the wings. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and turn it to broil. Place the top rack on the 2nd row, so it's not too close to the heating element.
- Brush the tops of the wings with BBQ sauce and broil the wings for 3-5 minutes, until a bit of char begins to form. Remove the sheet, flip the wings over, brush the sauce on the tops. Broil again for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and serve.
- You can use our Bourbon BBQ Sauce recipe, or any other BBQ sauce you prefer. It doesn’t have to be homemade. We love Sweet Baby Ray’s bottled sauce.
- For the rub, you can use any purchased rub you like, or use the rub in this recipe. You can leave out the brown sugar to lower the carbs/calories.
- You can also leave out the garlic or onion powder, and the mustard powder, if you don’t have it.