Liven up your morning with this light and fluffy whipped coffee topping that will turn your morning coffee upside down.
This whipped coffee is all the craze right now on social media. We couldn’t help but jump on the trend and check it out for ourselves. You won’t believe how easy this is to make. Why did it take this long for someone to discover it?
If you love coffee, but want to try something new, this dalgona coffee is a super fun alternative. It takes just three ingredients to make:
- Instant coffee grounds
It’s as easy as mixing those three ingredients together and whisking them until it’s light and fluffy. You can then put the topping on anything you like. A dalgona coffee is milk topped with this whipped coffee.
It’s like a latte turned upside down.
How to Make a Dalgona Coffee
There are a couple of ways you can prepare this whipped topping.
- By hand whisking – takes about a 6-minute forearm workout to get this done. It’s such a small amount that you might opt for this method.
- Handheld blender – if you don’t have the whisking attachment for your immersion blender, you can put the ingredients in the chopper attachment and blend it that way. It won’t get as fluffy in the chopper, but a few minutes of hand whisking after will get it there.
- By hand mixer – this is probably the easiest method. It takes about 3-5 minutes to whip it up.
Served Cold or Hot?
You can use either cold or hot milk. I prefer to drink mine cold, so I even added ice to the milk. But you can certainly heat it up if you like.
To add an extra burst of flavor to the milk, I mixed a bit of the coffee topping into the milk before I added it to the top. This made the whole thing so much more tasty. And then I wasn’t drinking just plain milk once the topping was all gone.
You can also add this whipped topping over hot coffee, to double down. Also try it over ice cream!
You can substitute the milk with any type of milk alternative you want to drink. I used almond milk. The drink isn’t affected at all by using a milk alternative.
If you don’t want to add sugar, you can substitute with any sugar alternative, like Erythritol or Stevia. Note that Erythritol isn’t as sweet as regular sugar, but adding more will weigh down the topping. I added a tsp of agave to mine to sweeten it up a bit.
Doubling the Recipe
You can double or triple the recipe – make as much as you want, really. You can store it in the fridge to use later, so you only have to whip it once per week, and enjoy it for days.
The recipe is a 1:1:1 ratio of coffee to sugar to water, so just add as much as you want in those ratios to maintain the balance.
Other recipes to try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Dalgona Coffee Recipe
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Mix the ingredients together in a small mixing bowl. Whisk together for 5-8 minutes, until nice and fluffy.
- Use a ladle or spatula to spoon onto the top of your milk or coffee.