These Crispy Baked Breaded Mushrooms are crisp and crunchy on the outside and soft and juicy on the inside. They are so snackable, you won’t be able to stop eating until they’re gone.
One of my favorite breaded snacks is mushrooms. I used to order them all every time I saw them on a fast food menu. It was somewhat of a rarity to find them, though. Now I can make them at home any time I want with this recipe.
The best part about making them at home is the ability to bake them, instead of eating them deep fried. You’d think that might sacrifice some of the crispy goodness, but it doesn’t. It just makes it more healthy due to using way less oil.
How to Make Breaded Mushrooms
The best way to make sure your mushrooms are crispy and the breading stays is to make a dipping station.
You’ll need three bowls or plates.
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Egg and milk (and garlic, if you like).
- Plain breadcrumbs or Panko, Parmesan cheese, paprika, salt, and black pepper.
Start by rolling the mushrooms in flour. This will help the breading stick to the mushrooms.
Next, roll them in the egg mixture. Coat them well, but then shake off any excess egg.
Then roll them in the breadcrumb mixture. Again, coat them well, but shake off excess crumbs.
Put the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Spray them with cooking spray. The more evenly they’re sprayed the more golden they will get all around. Do note that it’s not necessary to spray them at all, but they won’t get golden crispy if you don’t.
Bake in the oven at 400 degrees F (200 C) for 15 minutes, or until they’re looking browned and crispy.
Air Fryer Breaded Mushrooms
If you have an air fryer, you’ll want to try making these in there instead. It takes slightly less time, around 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees F (200C), and they turn out even crispier than in the oven.
Again, you’ll want to spray them with some cooking oil to get golden crisp.
It’s also super easy to reheat breaded mushrooms in the air fryer. If you happen to have some left over, you can recrisp them in about 5 minutes in the air fryer.
What to Serve Breaded Mushrooms With
These make a great appetizer or snack. I usually make a big batch and set them out in the afternoon when we’re watching a movie. They’re gone in no time.
These mushrooms love a good sauce. Ranch dressing is my go to, but they’re also really good with sriracha mayo, honey mustard, or blue cheese dressing.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Breaded Mushrooms in the Oven or Air Fryer
- 8 oz baby mushrooms 200 g
- 1/3 cup flour 45g
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk 60g
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs 60g
- 1 tsp dry rub
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 C). Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Clean the mushrooms and remove the ends of any stems that are craggy.
- Make 3 dipping stations: a plate for flour and salt, a bowl for the egg and milk (whisked together), and a bowl for the breadcrumbs and dry rub.
- First coat the mushrooms in the flour. Then dip them in the egg mixture, shaking off any excess. Then roll them in the breadcrumbs. Complete the breading process for all the mushrooms.
- Place the mushrooms evenly on the baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking oil, for a crispier crunch. Bake for 15-20 minutes, turning once, until the outsides are crisp and browned.
Pin it for later!
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.