Looking for ways to eat more fresh fish? These salmon, egg and avocado breakfast tacos are as delicious as they are heart healthy.
I recently returned for a trip to Juneau, Alaska, the capital city of not only the state government, but also wild Alaskan seafood, which is prevalent, plentiful, and coveted by locals and visitors alike.
After seeing and tasting the incredible salmon in Alaska, my first priority upon arriving home was to start incorporating more of it into my diet.
According to the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, “Alaska seafood is a key source of marine omega-3 fatty acids (DHA and EPA) which are essential for our bodies to promote heart health, suppress inflammatory responses, improve blood flow and participate in brain function. Alaska seafood is also naturally high in many essential vitamins and minerals including vitamins E, A, D and B-12.”
If that’s not enough reasons to eat more salmon, I don’t know what else can be said. Not only does it have some great health benefits, but it’s also sustainably managed to ensure the highest quality and a long-lasting future for Alaska seafood.
» Here’s another super healthy egg dish to make for breakfast: make-ahead egg bake casserole.
I like the idea of adding salmon to breakfast. Why not replace your bacon with salmon for a healthy alternative? This was the first dish I made when I got home. If you like scrambled eggs, you’ll love these breakfast tacos with salmon and avocado.
Tacos are so great because they’re simple and handheld (check out our crispy shrimp taco recipe). These breakfast tacos are no different, even if it initially feels strange to eat a taco for breakfast.
I like to use street taco corn tortillas, because they’re the perfect size. You can also use regular size (6 in) corn tortillas or flour tortillas, if you like.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Only a few ingredients are needed for this recipe that will start your morning off right.
- Salmon – 3 ounces boneless and skinless. Wild salmon is preferred.
- Avocado – Avocados add a silky rich flavor and heart healthy fats.
- Corn tortillas – Street taco corn tortillas are the perfect size. You can also use regular size (6 in) corn tortillas or flour tortillas, if you like.
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Salmon and Egg Breakfast Tacos
Start by adding some butter to a small skillet and allow it to melt in a pan over medium heat. You don’t want the pan to be so hot that the butter sizzles. Season the salmon with salt and add it to the pan.
Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes per side. Remove it from the pan. You can also use pre-baked or smoked salmon in this recipe. It’s a great way to use up leftovers from dinner.
I personally love smoked salmon, but prefer it cooked on the grill or barbecued rather than using lox. Learn how to smoke salmon on a Traeger grill.
Scramble the eggs in a bowl, then add them to the same pan. For a fluffier scramble, don’t over stir the eggs while they’re cooking. I allow the egg to cook fully on one side before flipping it and breaking it up into chunks. I hate it when scrambled eggs are mashed up into tiny little pieces.
Once the egg is almost cooked through, add the avocado pieces and shredded cheddar cheese (if desired). Gently fold in the avocado and remove from the heat as soon as the eggs are completely cooked.
Heat up the tortillas in the skillet for a few minutes until they are pliable. Then load them up with the eggs and salmon. Top with fresh or dried dill and enjoy!
Other recipes you might like
- Simple Breakfast Idea: Avocado Egg Toast
- Spicy Bloody Mary Cocktail
- Easy Chilaquiles Recipe
- 23 Easy Breakfast Casseroles
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Salmon, Egg, and Avocado Breakfast Tacos
- 1 tablespoon butter divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 ounces salmon boneless and skinless
- 1 avocado cubed
- 4 corn tortillas street taco sized
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt half the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Season the salmon with salt and add it to the pan. Cook on medium heat for 3 minutes per side. Remove it from the pan.
- Add the rest of the butter to the same pan. Lower the temperature to medium low. Scramble the eggs in a bowl, then add them to the pan. For a fluffier scramble, don’t over stir the eggs while they’re cooking.
- Once the egg is almost cooked through, add the avocado pieces and gently fold the eggs to incorporate everything. Remove from the heat as soon as the eggs are completely cooked.
- Heat up the tortillas in the skillet for a few minutes until they are pliable. Then load them up with the eggs and salmon. Top with fresh or dried dill, salt and pepper, and enjoy!
- Add shredded cheddar cheese and hot sauce, if desired.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite Instant Pot recipes over at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin it for later!
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.