These red velvet truffles are the perfect Valentine’s day treat. They’re a delight to look at, as well as eat.
I don’t eat a lot of cake, but I love red velvet cake – in pretty much any form. Red velvet cupcakes, yes. Red velvet trifle, absolutely! So why not try red velvet truffles! They make the perfect treat for any special occasion, like Valentine’s Day, or as wedding box giveaways.
We made these red velvet truffles for our wedding, along with some chocolate truffles. We packaged them up in pretty little boxes and gave them away as gifts at the door. They were a HUGE hit. Our guests were asking for the recipe before the wedding was even over.
You can make the red velvet cake yourself from scratch, but I think it’s just super easy to use a cake mix, and take that hassle out of the equation. Try a few red velvet cake mixes to find the one you like best.
Then it’s just a matter doing a few tasks that don’t take long at all:
- Bake the cake and let it cool
- Crumb the cake into small, gravel-like pieces
- Mixing in the cream cheese to form a sort of paste
- Roll it into lots of little balls. You can make them as big or little as you like, though just under golf-ball size is pretty perfect.
- Melt the white chocolate and roll the balls in it to coat. I use a fork to roll them around and get them fully coated, the scoop them out.
- Set them on a wire rack. While they’re still wet, sprinkle with red decorator’s sugar.
- Allow them to fully harden before eating.
The truffles come out more cake-like the less cream cheese you add, so if you want them to be mostly red cake (like in the image above), use less cream cheese – just enough to hold the cake together.
I actually prefer more cream cheese in mine. They taste more like cheesecake that way. They’re delicious. The inside is more like a truffle than cake. It’s dense and moist.
No matter how much cream cheese you use, these red velvet truffles turn out so beautiful and they make a perfect gift or party dessert.
Other dessert recipes to try
Like this recipes? Be sure to save it on your Pinterest board for later! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Red Velvet Truffles
- 1 red velvet cake mix
- 6 oz cream cheese softened (use less for more cake-like truffles)
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate melted
- 3 oz red decorator’s sugar
- Bake the cake according to the package and let cool. Crumble the red velvet cake into a fine crumb. Fold in the cream cheese. Mix well.
- Roll 1″ balls of the red velvet mixture in the palms of your hands, until all mixture has been used. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. It’ll make around 35-40 balls. Set in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Melt the white chocolate. Remove the balls from the fridge. Using a fork, dip each truffle in the melted chocolate and place on parchment paper. Sprinkle with red decorating sugar. Put the truffles back in the fridge until the chocolate is set.
- The more cream cheese you use, the more moist and compact the cake will be. Adjust according to your own preferences.
- You can coat these with milk or dark chocolate too, if you prefer.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Pin it for later