These easy and scrumptious chocolate banana muffins are great for an on-the-go breakfast. They’re perfectly moist and deliver on the classic flavor combination of bananas and chocolate that we all know and love.
My family loves having muffins for breakfast; enough so that the whole batch is usually gone within a few days. They’re a staple for days when we have to get going early.
But who can blame us? They make a great snack or quick breakfast. You can just take one- I like them warm so I heat mine up- and it’s a fast bite that has enough substance to keep your body going until lunch. Not to mention they’re delicious!
These muffins also work great as a make ahead and freeze. They can be put in an airtight zipper bag and into the freezer for up to three months. That way you can pull them out at any time and have breakfast minutes away from being served. Or they can be taken out one at a time for a snack when nothing else hits the sweet chocolatey spot.
Tips for Making Chocolate Banana Muffins
Use very ripe or even over ripe bananas for this recipe. This is a great way to get rid of bananas that are a bit past their prime. In this recipe you have to mash the bananas, so it’s better to use ripe ones because they mash better.
Riper bananas also will release more moisture while baking which will help your muffins stay tender.
Make sure not to over mix the muffin batter. Yes, it seems like it wouldn’t be a big deal. But, over mixing muffins makes them more dense and tough when ideally you want them to be light and moist.
To aid with not over mixing avoid using an electric mixer. This recipe does fine with a simple rubber spatula and some arm muscles. Mixing about 10 to 12 times is perfect. There will be some lumps left in the batter.
When adding the muffin batter to baking cups you can use an ice cream scooper to make sure that the same amount gets into every cup. This will help the muffins all bake evenly and make them look more uniform when they come out of the tin.
Other recipes to try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F and line a 12-muffin cup tin with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Mix mashed bananas, egg, melted butter and milk in medium bowl. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients just until blended (do not overmix).
- Fold in the chocolate chunks until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full, and place in the pre-heated oven to bake until cooked through and puffy, approximately 30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow muffins to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the muffin tin to serve. Enjoy!