There’s no need to purchase taco seasoning when it is so easy and inexpensive to make it at home with spices you likely already have in the cabinet.
I’ll admit that I bought taco seasoning in the packet for a long time, even though I knew it would be easy to make it at home. It was simply habit. It wasn’t until I couldn’t find a packet once that I decided to just bite the bullet and start making it at home.
I’m really glad I did, because now I don’t even have to think about adding it to my grocery cart. I always have some mixed up at home, ready to add to ground beef when ever the mood for tacos or burritos strikes.
And at our house, that’s often. We love tacos in just about any form: taco pizza, taco stuffed peppers, taco-stuffed shells. You name it.
What You’ll Need To Make Taco Seasoning
All of the ingredients in this taco seasoning are spices that you likely already have around the house. If you don’t, I’d recommend buying them in bulk at the grocery. I buy big bags of spices at Whole Foods so I can fill a container with this taco seasoning and not have to mix it up very often.
What You’ll Need Are:
- Chili Powder (mild)
- Salt & Pepper
- Brown Sugar
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
How to Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mixing this seasoning is as easy as combining all the ingredients into a bowl and mixing. Super simple.
The addition of cornstarch to the mix is what gives the seasoning the ability to thicken and coat the ground beef properly. It’s not necessary to add it, if you’d rather not, but it’s what makes this seasoning similar to the store packet.
This recipe makes enough seasoning for 1 pound of ground meat. I almost always make double or triple the amount so I can store the taco seasoning in an air-tight sealed container that I keep in the cabinet. Then I can use however much I need for the purpose at hand and then store it away again.
When you’re ready to use the seasoning, just brown the meat and drain any excess oil. Then add all of seasoning and 1/4 cup water. Stir it well. Then let it simmer for about 5 minutes before serving.
Other recipes to try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Homemade Taco Seasoning for Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp cornstarch optional
- In a small bowl, mix together all of the spices. Use immediately or store for later use.
When Ready to Use
- The recipe makes enough seasoning for 1 pound of ground beef. When ready to use, mix seasoning into 1 lb cooked ground beef along with 1/4 cup water. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes until the water has evaporated.
- If you don’t like spicy food, don’t add the red pepper flakes.
- Cornstarch acts as a thickener and will help the seasoning adhere to the meat and form a more saucy consistency. It’s not necessary.
- You can mix this seasoning in a much larger batch and store for regular use. Just double or triple the ingredients.