Have you ever wondered how much does a gallon of milk weigh? Well, it’s more than you might think, and there’s more to it than just a simple measurement.
The answer to this question is not entirely straight forward, even though it might seem like it. That is because a gallon of milk weighs a different amount depending on where you are purchasing it from.
» In case you were curious – How Many Cloves of Garlic are in a Tablespoon?
In the United States, a gallon of milk weighs 8.6 lbs (3.9kg). In the UK or Canada, a gallon of milk weighs around 10.3 lbs (4.67kgs).
If you’re looking into the weight of milk for the purposes of a recipe, or if you’re attempting to calculate it into a maximum weight capacity for a trip you’re taking in an RV with limited space, you’ll find all you need to know below. It’s a helpful kitchen tip that you might want to know the answer to.
Why Milk Weight Varies by Country
Why the difference? It’s because these countries use different units of measurement and one country’s gallon is not equivalent to the other. Just like with a pint of beer, a gallon is measured differently. In the U.S. a pint is 16 fluid ounces, while in the UK an Imperial pint is 20 fluid ounces.
One imperial gallon is equivalent to approximately 1.2 U.S. liquid gallons, so a “gallon” isn’t a measurement that is the same everywhere.
What About the Fat Content of Milk?
There can also be a slight difference in weight due to the fat content contained in the milk. Since you can buy milk in many different variations – from whole milk to skim milk – there will be a slight difference between all of those types, though it is a very small one, resulting in only about a 10 gram difference between the types.
Does a Gallon of Milk Weigh the Same As Water?
The answer to this is no. A gallon of milk weighs more than water, and this is also due to the fat content in milk.
A gallon of water weighs 8.35 pounds vs the 8.6 pounds that milk weighs.
A gallon of milk contains just 87% water and the rest is made up of fats, protein, carbohydrate (lactose), and minerals, plus micronutrients and vitamins. That’s a lot of additional components.
In fact, there have been 250 chemical compounds found in milk, which is an awful lot of extra components that will affect its overall weight.
Additional Breakdowns of Weight
- How much does half-gallon of milk weigh? A half-gallon of milk weighs approximately 4.23 lb (1.92 kg).
- How much does a quart of milk weigh? The weight is about 3 lbs (approx. 1.36 kgs), but this is not the same for all types of cow’s milk. The numbers vary slightly depending on the fat percentage.
- How much does a gallon of almond milk weigh? So, if you are looking to switch from cow milk to almond milk, how much does a gallon of almond milk weigh? It’s about 8.5 lbs (3.86 kgs). This number can vary depending on the brand of almond milk you buy and the fat content.
- How much does a gallon of skim milk weigh? A gallon of skim milk weighs about 8.6 lbs (3.94 kgs). This number can vary depending on the brand of whole milk you buy and the fat content.
- How much does a gallon of low-fat milk weigh? A gallon of low-fat milk weighs approximately 8.7 lbs (4.32kgs). This number may vary depending on the brand of low-fat milk you buy and the fat content.
- How much does a gallon of 2% milk weigh? A gallon of 2% milk weighs about 8.5 lbs (3.81 kgs). This number may vary depending on the brand of whole milk you buy and the fat content.
- How much does a gallon of chocolate milk weigh? A gallon of chocolate milk weighs about 8.6 lbs (3.9 kgs). This number may vary depending on the brand of chocolate milk you buy and the fat content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is milk heavier than water?
Milk is made up of about 87% water along with other substances that are heavier than water, including fat content. So yes, a gallon of milk is heavier than a gallon of water.
What is a good substitute for milk in a dairy-free diet?
If you’re needing to cut dairy out of your diet, you can substitute it with a number of different plant-based milks, like soy milk, oat milk, or almond milk.
How much does a liter of milk weigh?
The density of milk is approximately 1.03 kilograms per liter, so a liter of milk weighs about 1 kilogram.
So, how much does a gallon of milk weigh? As you can see, it varies depending on the type of milk. If you are looking to make a change, you need to know how much a gallon of your new milk weighs. We hope this article was helpful.
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Pin it on Pinterest!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite Instant Pot recipes over at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.