Chipotle Beef Barbacoa Recipe
Easy Beef Barbacoa Recipe for tacos, burgers and burritos
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 white onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce deseeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cut the beef into 3-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Brown the meat on all four sides in cooking oil on the stovetop. Remove meat.
Add the onions to the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and oregano. Stir and cook for one minute.
Add the chipotle peppers, beef broth, vinegar, lime juice and cilantro. Stir well to combine.
Return the meat to the pan. Cover and cook over low heat for 6 hours. Meat is done when it can easily be shredded with a fork. Remove it from the pot and shred it, then combine it with as much of the sauce as you prefer.
Serve in tacos, burritos, or any other dish you like.
- Chuck Roast is the best cut of meat for this dish. The meat needs to have adequate marbling (fat) to create a nice fall-apart texture and flavor.
- The meat must be cooked low and slow for around 6 hours. Trying to cook it faster on a higher heat doesn't yield the best results.
- I haven't had success with this recipe in the Instant Pot. I would stick to stove top cooking.
- If you leave the seeds in the peppers, it will be quite hot. Remove all the seeds for no heat.
Calories: 338kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 117mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 612mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 446IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 4mg