Chicken Rice Soup
This Chicken Rice Soup is one of the most satisfying and hearty bowls of soup you'll ever eat.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots sliced
- 8 mushrooms chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked long grain brown rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 cup half-and-half
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the flour and whisk together.
Gradually pour in the chicken broth, whisking constantly until combined. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the rice, chicken, salt, parsley, mustard powder, and black pepper. Allow to heat through, then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 10 minutes. Do not boil.
- You can leave the sherry out or substitute it with white wine.
- Saute the vegetables before adding for extra flavor.
- Add the half and half just before serving and do not boil, or the soup will curdle.
- This recipe can be made in the crockpot or Instant Pot.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 44mg | Sodium: 758mg | Potassium: 454mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1123IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 1mg