Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
These melt-in-your-mouth tender beef short ribs are a cinch to make in the Instant Pot.
Servings: 2 servings
- 1.5 lb beef short ribs
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 small onion quartered
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or bourbon
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme optional
For the rub
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Rinse and pat dry the ribs.
Mix together the dry rub ingredients. Use all of the dry rub to coat the ribs.
Press the "saute" mode on the Instant Pot. Allow it to heat up for 3 minutes. Add the cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add the ribs, meat-side down, and brown on all sides.
Cancel saute mode and remove the ribs from the pot. Pour in the beef broth and red wine. Whisk to remove the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Simmer for 3 minutes.
Place the beef ribs into the liquid in the Instant Pot. Add the carrots, onions, and garlic on top of the meat. Toss in the thyme sprigs, if using.
Secure the lid on the pot and set the vent to sealing. Press the "pressure cook" button on the Instant Pot and set the time to 50 minutes. After the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally (about 15-20 minutes).
- You can use either red wine or bourbon in this recipe. Both are very good. If you don't wish to use either, just add a bit more beef broth to the pot.
- If you wish to serve the gravy with the meat, strain it through a sieve and skim off the fat. It can be thickened in the pot, if desired.
Calories: 593kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 147mg | Sodium: 1013mg | Potassium: 1267mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 10739IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 7mg