Crispy baked Taco Egg Rolls are the perfect finger food for a party or just for snacking, with the super crispy exterior and cheesy taco filling. They’re a crowd pleaser.
I like egg rolls, but I like them even better when they’re stuffed with taco filling! They’re one of our favorite Asian/Mexican fusion foods, and so easy to make.
These Taco Egg Rolls make a great snack and can be served for Game Day or as an appetizer at a party or barbecue. They can be made ahead and reheated on the bbq if you’re grilling outside.
The taco egg rolls are stuffed with seasoned ground beef, onion, refried beans and cheese. Then just make a quick creamy dipping sauce with sour cream and hot sauce, and you’re all set.
What Type of Wrapper to Use
The obvious choice is egg roll wrappers. However, I usually use spring roll wrappers instead. Why is that? I think they turn out a little crispier in the oven with spring roll wrappers.
However, it really doesn’t matter which wrapper you use. They will both turn out great and they cook the same. Base your decision on which one is easier to get, or try them out and see which texture you like better.
How to Make Taco Egg Rolls
Step One: Prepare the Filling
Start by browning the ground beef and onion together in a skillet. Then add the taco seasoning. We make our own taco seasoning at my house. Here’s the recipe. You can also use the kind in the packet, if you want.
You can also make your own refried beans with our recipe. It’s really easy to make your own, you just need the time to cook the dried beans (which is really fast and easy in the Instant Pot), or you can just mash beans from a can. Alternatively, just use a can of refried beans.
When the meat is done, it’s time to fill your egg rolls. You should have a bowl of refried beans, a bowl of shredded cheese, and the ground beef at hand so everything’s ready.
Step Two: Make the Rolls
Set a wrapper on a clean, flat surface with a point facing toward you. Add a scoop (about 1 tbsp) of refried beans to the center, closer to you. Then add a similar amount of meat, then shredded cheese.
Fold in the side flaps of the wrapper so they slightly overlap in the center. Then fold the flap nearest to you over the top and pull it in tight against the ingredients. Then just roll it up.
You can add a little water to the end flap so it seals nicely against the roll. That will keep it from coming lose as it cooks.
Step Three: Bake
When all of the rolls are complete, add them to a baking sheet lined with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Bake them for about 10 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes. They’re done when the wrapper is nice and crispy and golden.
Step Four: Serve With Sauce
The sauce we serve these with is just sour cream mixed with Chalula hot sauce. It’s super simple, but it’s the perfect dipping sauce for these taco egg rolls. You could also just use plain sour cream, or dip them in salsa. Whatever you want!
Can I Freeze Taco Egg Rolls
Yes, these egg rolls can be frozen and baked whenever you’re ready to serve them. There’s no need to cook them before freezing. If you bake them from frozen, they’ll take around 30 minutes, rather than 20.
Since these keep so well in the freezer, you can make a lot of them at once and save yourself time in the future. They’re great for kids to make for themselves, since all they have to do is take them from the freezer and bake.
Other Recipes to Try
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Baked Taco Egg Rolls
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper lining.
- Cook the ground beef and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the beef with a spatula as it cooks. When done, drain any excess oil. Add the taco seasoning and water and stir well to combine. Remove from heat.
- Work with one wrapper at a time. Add approximately 1 tbsp of refried beans, meat mixture, then shredded cheese to the edge of the wrapper nearest to you, leaving about an inch of wrapper exposed.
- Fold the left and right sides into the center. Then roll away from you to form a tight roll. Brush the loose ends with a bit of water to stick it down.
- Add the rolls to the baking sheet. Cook in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the rolls become golden brown. You can flip the rolls over halfway through baking, but it’s not necessary.
- To make the sauce, combine sour cream with Chalula hot sauce and stir it together.
- Use egg roll wrappers or Thai spring roll wrappers interchangeably.
- You can add additional ingredients to the filling, like cilantro, tomatoes, or avocado.
- Spice it up by adding Monterrey Jack Cheese instead of cheddar.
Pin it for later
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.