If you love buffalo chicken wings, this Buffalo Chicken Pizza is the next best thing, with all the flavors you love like blue cheese, chicken, and spicy buffalo sauce.
I’ll be the first to admit that the flavor combination of buffalo chicken is irresistible. We eat buffalo chicken wings and buffalo chicken stuffed peppers all the time. Of course these ingredients also belong on a pizza!
When you’re looking for an alternative to your typical pepperoni pizza, consider making this Buffalo Chicken Pizza instead. It’s easy to make and it’s a pizza everyone will love.
You can make your own pizza dough (be sure to follow our perfect every time thin-crust dough recipe), but if you’re in a hurry, store-bought pizza dough or a pre-cooked crust is one of the best time-saving conveniences there are.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Pizza
There are three things you need to do before you can get this pizza put together.
- Simmer the chicken thighs in a pot of water for about 25 minutes. Let them cool and then shred the chicken off the bone. Once the chicken is shredded, return it to the empty pot and add the buffalo sauce and butter. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Make the pizza dough and spread it out to the size you want. I like to make personal-sized pizza, so everyone can have their own. It just feels more decadent. Of course, you can also buy a pre-made crust.
- Mix the mayonnaise and blue cheese until creamy, either with a whisk or in a food processor.
- Slice the onions.
Once you have all the topping ingredients ready, all you have to do is dress up the pizza and bake it.
If you made your own crust, you will want to pre-cook the crust in the oven for 5 minutes, to ensure that it gets fully cooked through.
Spread the blue cheese sauce onto the crust. You can spread it as thick or thin as you like. I love blue cheese, so I’m not afraid to really slather it on.
Scatter the chicken on top of the pizza, spreading it out to cover. Add the onions on top and sprinkle on the cheese.
Bake the pizza for 10 minutes, or until bubbly on top, on 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
How to Cook a Pizza
The very best option is in a wood-fired oven. If you have one of these, I’m jealous.
The best option for most people is in the oven. However, I do love this electric pizza maker by Hamilton Beach. It cooks up to 40% faster & is up to 52% more energy efficient than a regular kitchen oven. It doesn’t take up a lot of space and there’s a handy viewing window.
This awesome little machine can cook up to a 12-inch pizza (plus lots of other items – almost like an air fryer). The best feature is the top and bottom heating elements that enable the pizza crust to cook while the toppings are cooking.
What Rack of the Oven Should You Cook Your Pizza On?
Have you ever wondered if it makes a difference which rack you cook the pizza on? I definitely have. I actually read a bunch of scientific cooking demos that explained the difference between what happens on the top vs the bottom of the oven.
The conclusion was that it’s best to cook the pizza on the top rack. It allows for the most even cooking of both the crust and the toppings, so one doesn’t burn before the other cooks. Give it a try!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 8 inch pre-made pizza crusts see this link to make your own
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 oz blue cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C).
- Simmer the chicken thighs in a pot of water for about 25 minutes. Take them from the water and let them cool, then shred. Return chicken to the empty pot and add the buffalo sauce and butter. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- If you made your own dough, stretch it into 2 8” crusts and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Spread the blue cheese sauce onto the crust. Scatter the chicken on top of the pizza, spreading it out to cover. Add the onions on top and sprinkle on the cheese. Bake for 10 minutes, or until bubbly on top.
Pin it for later!
Laura is a home cook who loves making new recipes and finding new favorite things to eat, whether at home or abroad. She also runs a popular travel blog and spends a lot of her time traveling for food.